Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Cafe Sketches-Suggestions welcomed :)



I've been trying to stay motivated post something new every day.... Here are some cafe sketches I did today. Not very successful but I think it's important to show people your good work as well as your less successful stuff..... really hoping that someone will come along and give me some advice on what works for them when approaching cafe sketches... what they focus on. I find the best way to learn is to show people your crap and they'll tell you how to fix it.

With most of these sketches I was looking at the Tim Horton's drive thru order area.... that way I could see people for a few seconds, study interesting features and move on quick.... build up my speed a bit. Although as you can see.. structure was obviously lost. What I really struggled with was capturing the essence of the character.... there really aren't many sketches there that we can really distinguish a particular personality. I like analyzing my crap crap because it motivates me to go back and try again.

Any suggestions on how you all approach cafe sketches would be very much appreciated.

3 Comments:

At 12:05 AM, Blogger Kristian said...

these are far from being crap, caroline.
I've not done many afe sketches, probably because I don't spend long enough in them. But i'm sure its not dissimilar to tube/suway drawing. I generally pick someone on their attributes, or people in clear view...then draw really i'm quickly avoiding looking like i'm staring..stalkeresque like.
i think you have a great style just keep on, and all will be revealed .well thats what i'm hoping for anyway

 
At 6:54 AM, Blogger B Roy said...

See Caroline cafe drawings are wat you want them to be and can be approched in any way you want.
The great advantage is you have example's from life right in front of you so you dont have to draw from memory but more like bank in new info that can be added to your style. Lets just face it cafe drawings are just fun to do. You got some great stuff there and the fact that you'r even taking the time to do cafe drawings is great.

Keep it up!

B Roy

 
At 3:30 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Ever since I got my new camera phone, I've been secretly stealing pictures of interesting people in public places. I just pretend that I'm doing something else on the phone. Although I found out the hard way to turn off the flash beforehand.

(In proof reading my post, I realized that I sound like a complete nutjob. hope no one thinks I'm a stalker.)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home